Thursday, January 10, 2008

Iran accuses U.S. of faking Gulf video

My comments: I do not know if this incident actually happened or not but given the fact that the Gulf of Tonkin 'Incident' never happened, but whose supposed actions directly led the US into one of its longest wars in history (Vietnam or American War depending on where you are from), I would be very cautious about how this event is viewed.

Mr. David Rockefeller himself tells Americans they should study history and travel the world. I agree and have done so. The outcome of both is I am very jaded as to the 'truth' that precipitates the excuse for war.

As a very wise man once told me, there is no such thing as 'coincidence'. And Mr. Bush's visit to the Middle East 'coinciding' with this event is just a bit too 'coincidental'. War with Iran is of course inevitable but it will be interesting to see which 'manufactured' event actually proceeds it and how history will actually discover the event to have occurred.

Here is a decent blog entry of a like minded thinking person who has the same reservations.

Official Version of U.S.-Iranian Naval Incident Starts to Unravel

Democracy Now! Audio & Transcript

New information reveals that the alleged Iranian threat to American naval vessels may have been blown out of proportion. We speak to investigative historian Gareth Porter.
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article19043.htm

===

Welcome To The Persian Gulf

By Daniel M Pourkesali

According to a report published in the New York Times, unnamed Pentagon officials are saying that the threatening voice heard in the audio clip which was recorded separately from the video images and merged together later by the Navy, "is not traceable to the Iranian military".
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article19047.htm

US Admiral Says Iran Risks Gulf Conflict :

The top U.S. military commander in the Mideast said Friday that Iran runs the risk of triggering an unintended conflict if its boats continue to harass U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf.
http://snipurl.com/1x791

===

US Navy threat may not have been Iranian:

THE US navy says there is "no way to know" if a threat radioed to US warships in the Strait of Hormuz came from Iranian speedboats, casting doubt on the earlier US version of Sunday's confrontation.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,23036718-5005961,00.html


Thursday, January 10, 2008

TEHRAN: Iran's Revolutionary Guard accused the United States on Wednesday of fabricating a video showing Iranian speedboats confronting United States Navy warships in the Gulf over the weekend, according to a report carried by the semiofficial Fars news agency and state-run television.

"Images released by the U.S. Department of Defense about the Navy vessels were made from file pictures, and the audio was fabricated," an unidentified Revolutionary Guard official said, according to Fars, which has close links to the Revolutionary Guard. It was the first time Iran had commented on the video that the Pentagon released Tuesday.

The audio includes a statement that says, "I am coming to you," and adds, "You will explode after a few minutes." The voice was recorded from the internationally recognized channel for ship-to-ship communications, navy officials have said.

The Pentagon immediately dismissed the assertion that the video, which shows Iranian speedboats maneuvering around and among the navy warships, had been fabricated. Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said Iran's "allegation is absurd, factually incorrect and reflects the lack of seriousness with which they take this serious incident."

Naval and Pentagon officials have said that the video and audio were recorded separately, then combined. On Wednesday, Pentagon officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak officially, said they were still trying to determine if the transmission came from the speedboats or elsewhere.

The unidentified Revolutionary Guard official quoted in the Iranian news media asserted that the video of the speedboats had been released to coincide with a trip by President George W. Bush to the Middle East and "was in line with a project of the Western media to create fear." The official said the sounds and images on the video did not go together, adding, "It is very clear that they are fake."

The Fars news agency had said that the confrontation had been fabricated to present Iran as a threat to its neighbors before Bush's trip so he could justify United States forces in the gulf.

The episode was initially described Monday by American officials who said it took place Sunday in the Strait of Hormuz.

They said five armed Iranian speedboats approached three United States Navy warships in international waters, then maneuvered aggressively as a radio threat was issued that the American ships would be blown up. No shots were fired. The video runs slightly more than four minutes and, Pentagon officials said, was shot from the bridge of the guided-missile destroyer Hopper.

The audio includes a heavily accented voice warning in English that the navy warships would explode. However, the recording carries no ambient noise — the sounds of a motor, the sea or wind — that would be expected if the broadcast had been made from one of the five small boats that sped around the three-ship American convoy.

Pentagon officials said they could not rule out that the broadcast might have come from shore, or from another ship nearby, although it might have come from one of the five fast boats with a high-quality radio system.

The Revolutionary Guards arrested 15 British sailors in Gulf waters last year and accused them of entering Iranian waters. They were kept in a secret location for two weeks before they were released in April. Their boats were seized by Iranian authorities and have not been returned. A Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Wednesday that Iran was willing to return the boats but that British authorities had not followed up, the official IRNA news agency reported.

No comments: